Monday, May 22, 2006

IN MEMORIAM...ALMOST

To whoever owns the Avenue Theatre on Rizal Avenue, I have this to say to you. You are a f**** moron! Why the hell are you tearing down this beautiful masterpiece done by National Artist for Architecture Juan Nakpil (the same guy who designed the Quiapo Church and the son of National Heroine Gregoria de Jesus?) As you can see from this file photo, it is the only structure on that side of the road which survived the bombs of World War II? Doesn't that mean anything to you?

Guess not.

Mayor Atienza, have you anything to say about this? Guess not either as my texts still have no reply. Such a shame. Such is the current state of our national historical amnesia I guess. Nevertheless, a black candle has been lit at the Quiapo Church as my personal wish/curse for the ultimate failure of whoever is doing this crime against Philippine culture.

But if any of you want to bitch about this like me, you can call or fax a complaint to Da Mayor's Office 5276063 or 5274991 or mayor_atienza@cityofmanila.com.ph so this matter will be taken more seriously.

Or better yet, let's find out who the owner is. I'll be more than happy to give him a call myself.

Thank you Anson for the flickr link and thanks spiritchild for the photo above.