Thursday, September 22, 2005

AHEM...


There. I'll say it again and I'll say it loud and clear. President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo ain't so bad.

Actually, I'm having great fun being a staunch supporter of Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.
It has been making me so unpopular with my peers that for once I actually know what it truly feels like to be cutting edge. My decision to ignore the anti-Gloria movement and let the tiny tempest that is Gloriagate stew in my mental teapot of irrelevance are moves that have been called "elitist" and "immoral" by more than a few. Descriptions that I really don't mind. Morality has never been a strong point of mine and middle class sentiments (or lower) are things I have always detested in principle. And if I remember correctly, the surrealists were also called the same in their time. And at the end of the day, I'd rather keep company with them than with Cory Aquino.

Really. I wonder what it says about a society when supporting the status quo has become an avant garde activity?

Picture above: The pathetically sparse anti-GMA rally that blocked Makati traffic for hours last September 21,2005.

And although somewhere inside I'm secretly saying "Go ahead and throw their asses in jail, Tita Glo!" I know as a fact, martial law can never happen again.

Communication systems are far more superior in the civil sector than in the government one, the military is far too fragmented to implement it properly, and at the formerly fearsome military facility Fort Bonifacio, the only iron-fisted despot to be found is Aslie Aslanian, the doorbitch/dress code enforcer of Embassy Super Club. Ironically, shutting up in this country is by choice now. Such is the state of a country that often mistakes sedition for democracy.